The other day I was randomly sharing a little about the work I do and the person I was talking with responded, “Oh, it must feel good to have people depending on you to find the answer for their problems.” I totally cringed. “Oh God no”, “that is not at all what I’m trying to do”, I said.
Do people really think that? How can I make this clearer?
Here’s my best shot at helping you know what you’re getting yourself into should you decide to come to therapy at Breakthrough Counseling:
1. We are going to have to find a way to clearly understand what the problem is.
2. We need to establish some active coping strategies that work for you (like anticipating what’s coming, problem solve, understanding your values).
3. When you are using negative coping strategies (like hopelessness, blaming, intellectualizing, self-harm, or all or nothing thinking), learn to STOP IT. Easier said than done, I know.
4. Feeling expression will be essential to healing and is often painful and unpleasant.
5. We will practice a new narrative that acknowledges healing and growth.
6. We will build up self-regard and put back together any broken pieces.
7. Finally, you will begin to feel better, have more confidence in your ability to handle life’s challenges, and I will make room in my schedule for some one else who is brave enough to embark the journey that happens in therapy
My pledge to you is to do my best to stay on top of best practices in my field of social work. My go to models for this work include Cognitive Behavior Therapy, Dialectical Behavior Therapy skills, Motivational Interviewing, Solution Focused Brief therapy. The art of therapy often includes using these in a way that is not apparent to you. Also, you are the director of this process. You get to be in charge of how fast or slow we accomplish your goals or if we get there at all. The Heart of My Beat is to do my best to support you as you begin to heal and find new ideas to help you make a life for yourself that feels better. Ready to give it a try? Give me a call and let’s give it a go!.